Crafting leading threat intelligence is the focus of the Cisco Talos Security Intelligence and Research Group (Talos). Talos is comprised of leading threat researchers supported by sophisticated systems. Talos researchers build threat intelligence for Cisco products to protect customers from both known and emerging threats. The team’s expertise spans software development, reverse engineering, vulnerability triage, malware investigation, and intelligence gathering. Talos provides the content and logic for Cisco FirePOWER, Cisco Ironport Anti-Spam, the SenderBase e-mail reputation system (SBRS), the Web reputation system (WBRS), ClamAV and SpamCop.
Role & Responsibilities
- The Research Escalation Engineer works as part of the Talos Escalations group within Talos and is responsible for handling Escalation for our intrusion prevention, anti-virus, email and web security suites. Some of our many solutions include Cisco FirePOWER, FireAMP, Cisco IronPort Anti-Spam, Outbreak Filters, and the SenderBase (SBRS) / Web reputation system (WBRS). Talos Research Escalation Engineers.
- Triage internal and external Escalation related to security efficacy, coverage, scoring, listing, and reputation determinations made by our security systems.
- Provide third-tier response to intrusion prevention, anti-virus, email and web security issues sophisticated from customer support and other customer-facing teams.
- Answer emails in ticketing queues and respond to alerts generated by supervising systems.
- Contribute to the establishment of procedures and standard methodologies for internal and external use.
- Work closely with tier four content and engineering teams.
- Strong foundation knowledge of networking, transport, and application layer protocols, such as IP, TCP, UDP, and HTTP.
- Superb communication and teamwork skills, with proven judgment about handling proprietary information.
- Extremely strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Must be customer-focused, with a proven sense of quality and thoroughness.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Good technical capability with the ability and passion to learn.
- Knowledge of intrusion and anti-virus detection techniques.
- Knowledge of spam, virus and phishing techniques.
- UNIX Experience and familiarity with tools such as dig, traceroute, whois, etc.
- Strong email knowledge (administration, blocklists, RFCs, reading email headers and understanding SMTP).
- Solid base knowledge of application layer protocols such as SMTP, POP, IMAP, SIP, and SSL Perl, shell scripting, regular expression and SQL experience.
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference powering an inclusive future for all.
We embrace digital, and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses. Some may think we’re “old” (36 years strong) and only about hardware, but we’re also a software company. And a security company. We even invented an intuitive network that adapts, predicts, learns and protects. No other company can do what we do – you can’t put us in a box! But “Digital Transformation” is an empty buzz phrase without a culture that allows for innovation, creativity, and yes, even failure (if you learn from it.)
Day to day, we focus on the give and take. We give our best, give our egos a break, and give of ourselves (because giving back is built into our DNA.) We take accountability, bold steps, and take difference to heart. Because without diversity of thought and a dedication to equality for all, there is no moving forward.
So, you have colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Passion for technology and world changing? Be you, with us!